Monday, September 2, 2013

A Home-Sewn $3 Dog Bed!

The CHEAP, DIY Dog Bed!


Yep, that's right!  THREE DOLLARS!  We're doing this dog ownership thing on a budget, so keeping it cheap is a priority.  While making a cushion is kind of a no-brainer, I did check Pinterest prior to getting started, and I guarantee this is WAY easier than anything you'll see featured there!

I used two old pillows and a $3 thrifted flat sheet. 



So this is what I did:

I hand sewed the two pillows together like this.  No fancy or pretty stitching because nobody is EVER going to see it.


Abby would NOT get off.  I figured that was a good sign that it was suitable!


Here's my double pillow dog cushion.


But it needed a cover that can be removed and washed, right?  To make the cover I simply plopped the pillows in the very center of the BACK SIDE of that sheet, folded up the ends, and pinned one side.

 
 
I then marked one side where the pillows ended on the unpinned side.  There is a lot of excess there.  Then I removed the pillows and sewed the pinned side together.

I laid the one side sewn sheet back on the floor and smoothed it all out, then measured the length from the seam to the mark on the one corner and marked it on the other side and drew a line across.

 
I went ahead and pinned all the layers together on that line,
 
 
then ran it through the sewing machine.  I cut off the excess, turned it right-side out, and that was it!


It also turns into a nifty little dog sofa under the green desk to conserve space!


So this is officially the thriftiest DIY upcycle project I've ever done.  It took less than an hour from start to finish, and Abby actually sleeps on it.  Not that I can get a picture of her sleeping on it.  You know what they say about letting sleeping dogs lie?  Well, that's especially true of this hyper dog who comes rocketing off it if you get anywhere near while she's napping.
 

Oh, and I made a matching poo-bag holder to hang on the door with her leash. 



Of course I still forget the poo bags when I take her out and have to take an extra up n' down on the stairs to retrieve one, but at least they're handy when I need one, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment