Friday, September 20, 2013

Besides Sewing...

I have been crafting and loving my paint lately.  The quicker the project the better!  But I haven't used my paint much in recent years, so it's been exciting to play with it for my own projects, instead of just kids' crafts.  I'm already dreaming about wall art projects that I'm hope to create in the future!

It started with this...

 
 
I saw something similar on Pinterest and totally fell in love with it.  After fantasizing about it for several weeks, I broke down and bought an 8x10' from Lowe's, chopped it in three pieces, beat the edges with a hammer and went to town.  I love it, but I'm still waiting to hang it on the wall.
 
That same day I was trying to give the kids something to do while we were at the shop, and since I had all my acrylics there, I chopped up some scrap 2x4's to make little houses they could paint.  They were so cute that I made my bestie some for her birthday...
 
 
 
And I had to make some for me to go with my painting...
 
 
 
I also painted a desk that the painting and the little houses are sitting on.
 
 
Sadly, I had no idea that latex paint does not respond well to distressing, so I went through and waxed all the edges prior to putting the green paint on it.  It's gorgeous!  Seriously.  I cannot get a picture that does the color justice.  But the latex peels off the edges like... well, like latex paint.  With all the paint we deal with between crafting and the Hombre's playhouses, that's really the best description I've got.  It should rub nicely away, which chalk paint does.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize I could make my own (because real chalk paint is really expensive!) until after I'd done this.  Anyway, it's still very pretty.  The color is Sea Glass.
 
Then the beach stuff got a little out of hand and I painted these bottles because I saw a tutorial on a blog that has a whole lot of pretty things.
 
 
The blog is sandandsisal.com.  It's full of a whole bunch of tutorials to make gorgeous stuff!
 
And THESE were a melding of several Pins into one awesome project!
 
 
I never throw away glass anymore.  I've seriously become a jar hoarder, but jars + Mod Podge = MAGIC!  It's amazing all the stuff I've been able to use them for.  Those are Martinelli's bottles, tinted with Mod Podge (they took FOREVER to dry, but it was worth it, I think!), then netted with cheap twine (here's a tutorial for that).  I think they're fun!
 
Here are some glitter jars I made with Mod Podge for our school room.  They're so colorful and fun!  And with all the color, it's almost like painting, so I get a kick out of it!
 
 
 
I did take a stab at finding another creative outlet this year and taught myself crochet.  I've tried to learn it before, even asked my mom to teach me, but I wasn't wrapping my head around it, so I was happy to have finally got the hang of it.  I'm not an expert at it yet, by a long shot!  But it's kind of fun.  It just doesn't fill the same void that sewing or painting does, so I only pick it up here and there. 
 
 
I found all of these patterns on Pinterest, of course.  I'd like to get to the point where I can crochet lacy scarves, wraps and tunics, but that will be later on!  Maybe I'll make a blanket to match all my painted beach stuff up there!  LOL
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment